Friday, February 29, 2008

Pam to School

Pam went in to teach today. Ja, hun er gal! (Yes, she's crazy!) The gate was locked so we had to park far from the school. She trudged up the hill on crutches, aided by the retractable ice-spikes on her Norwegian crutches. Her kids were thrilled to see her again.

Back at the office, I told everyone they couldn't speak English to me anymore. It made for a long day. Merete, the office manager and my lead Norwegian language coach, immediately began calling me a long list of vulgar names. Yep, I got to add several new entries on my list of Norwegian swear words! Fortunately Allan had taught me "Takk i like måte" (Thanks, the same to you), which worked astonishingly well in this instance.

My favorite curse, by the way, is the joke phrase: inn i svartsvidde granskogen! It simply means "in the black-burnt pine forest," but if said properly (with plenty of venom and hellfire), to Norwegians it sounds like it should be something very foul. Good fun!

The days are getting lighter and lighter. Daylight is now from 07:30 - 17:30 and days are getting longer by 6 and 1/2 minutes per day. Temps have been widely variable -- all last week it was in the 40s (Fahrenheit), but the last few days it has been dumping snow and has gotten quite cold again.

1 comment:

  1. "in the black-burnt pine forest," but if said properly, to Norwegians it sounds like it should be something very foul.

    When I was a teen in Michigan, the equivalent was "behind the barn, with an egg beater." This is all probably a linguistic varient of the phrase added to any egg roll wisdom: "between the sheets.'

    Grandpa Jack

    ReplyDelete