Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Global Gas Prices

Just read an article about rising gas prices. Seems the U.S. gas prices, averaging $3.61/gallon this weekend, are in the lower third of global gas prices. The cheapest gas is $0.12/gallon in Venezuala, and the most expensive gas right now is in Bosnia at $10.86/gallon. I filled up this weekend at $9.61/gallon here in Norway. (I'm watching the prices, waiting for them to hit 13.30 kroner per liter, that's the magic ten dollars per gallon mark.)

It's a bit strange that Norway has become very wealthy from oil drilling off their coast, and has many refineries, so we are buying locally produced gasoline, yet it is sold for one of the highest prices in the world. Perhaps it is these very high prices that encourage people to live close to where they work. Decades of cheap gasoline in the U.S. has resulted in urban sprawl across the landscape. Maybe $8/gallon gasoline is just what we need in the U.S.

I know prices in Bellingham have to be quite a bit higher than the national average... my friend Steve told me diesel was selling for $4.13/gallon last month...

How much is gas where you live? Leave a comment for fun.


(This is the kind of journal entry that I will read in 10 years and laugh. Ten dollars a gallon?! Oh, that was so cheap!)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Naylors... I hope you are enjoying Norway.

    $4.39 per gallon for diesel in Ferndale, WA , USA. Going up rapidly.

    $5.30 per gallon for B99 Biodiesel in Bellingham, WA, USA.

    The problem that I see is that as Americans, we have been spoiled with lower prices for fuel. In order to find cheaper real housing, many people moved out of the cities into or beyond the suburbs. A 40 to 50 mile commute is not that unusual. Now that prices are jumping these people who are driving 40 to 50 miles each way to work are really paying for it.

    Many of the cities in our area (Washington State) do not have reasonable mass transit.

    I guess I shouldn't complain, prices here are still better than Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two things I'd like to know about the gas prices in places where they are very high. The first is: How much of the price of gas is taxes? The second is: How much government regulation is there in regards to importation of oil and the building of refineries?

    I am from the U.S. and I hear all the time that people from all over the world pay much higher prices than we do, from Europe especially. I can't say I feel sorry for you, as you are the ones who insist on electing politicians who make policies that drive those prices up so high. Lower your taxes and increase your refining capacity to keep up with the market and you'll have the comparitively low prices that we have. If our politicians would stop trying to follow in your footsteps, prices would go even lower.

    ReplyDelete