Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Venn"

I'm sure this is really cheesy, but this has been a fun language exercise. Searching for norsk videos on YouTube, I hit Norway's version of "We Are The World"; well-known Norwegian artists singing together to raise money for tsunami victims in 2004.



It's a catchy song and the singers look interesting -- famous Norwegian pop artists I'm sure. Finding out about them might be a good way to explore Norwegian music. But what are they singing? On first listen, I can't do it, I can't tell what they're saying at all. Reading is easy, but listening is hard. I can understand when someone is speaking to me carefully, but normal conversation I still can't follow, and this song I cannot understand from listening alone.

So I score a lucky search and hit the lyrics on the first try. Åh! That's what they're saying, of course it is.

"Jeg kan være en venn/Jeg ser at du faller/Jeg ser at du faller/Du vil reise deg igjen."
(I can be a friend, I see that you've fallen, I see that you've fallen, You will stand up again.)

Go on, sing along with the video. You know that you want to!

I notice the singers are pronouncing the words differently. "Jeg" especially (the pronoun "I") has many pronounciation depending on what part of Norway one is from. One of the comments mentions this.

Another quick search and I have the guitar tabs. This morning my exercise is to write all these comments and practice until I understand and can say the comments fluently while the video plays. I'll start investigating some of these artists, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment