Sunday, March 22, 2009

Skitt!

Maggie was a bit embarrassed about a line in an Odd Nordstoga song that says "and you and I sit on the roof, laugh, and talk shit." I tried to explain that this is not a word that upsets norwegians in the least, they don't care about body functions, it's the devil they worry about. I even copied a section from a norwegian grammar book and emailed it to Maggie. It says that 'skitt' (pronounced 'shit') really means 'dirt' and is can be used as an expletive to mean 'oh bother!' "Your friend's grandmother won't even raise an eyebrow," it assures you.


Well, today, right in front of me and Pam, Maggie says 'oh shit' and runs off to something she forgot. Pam says, "Did she just say what I think she said?" "Yes," I answer, "but it's okay we're going to Norway." In my mind, she said 'skitt', not 'shit'.

No comments:

Post a Comment