Monday, May 4, 2009

T minus 2 months

Less than 2 months to go. With our June calendar already filling quickly, we're acting like we have only 1 month to go. Our goal is get rid of 1/2 of everything, and that part is going fairly well. So many treasures we've collected over the years, but it's time to let them go. It's amazing how tied down and heavy we become with 'things'. Some of our boxes are from 10 or 15 years ago, we open them only when we move and say "Oh, these are too nice to get rid of." Well, I've decided that most of these things I can just take a picture of, and then they become very light indeed. In fact, with the mass of electrons being of the order of 10^–31, I think that 200,000,000,000,000,000,000 2 meg pictures would weigh less than 1 gram. I think it will take me a while to accumulate that many pictures, even if I let Anna use the camera.

We're both making good use of Craigslist to sell off many things. On Friday, we drove to Seattle for a doctor's appointment, and stopped by the moving company to pick up some boxes. It was good to see the office building, and that it's a real-life company with friendly people. Makes me feel better about the move.

Still deciding about the Beetle... we could sell it for about $9000 here, or ship it to Norway for $4500 and then sell it for maybe as much as $20 000. Since we've owned it for over 2 years, apparently we can import the vehicle without paying excise tax, kind of a once in lifetime opportunity to score, but I'm not sure I want to deal with all of the hassles that will surely arise. Hmm. We've got about 6 weeks to decide, so I've time to do homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment