Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Elsa

Anna was sick today so we stayed home. I had a good day of work, even without my favorite coffee machine back at the office.

I got a call from my new random phone friend, Elsa. She called a few weeks ago on Peter's phone, a wrong number. She called 3 or 4 times in a row, and we chuckled over it, struggling with the Norwegian as I explained we had just moved to Norway from the United States.

A couple days later she called again and we talked longer. She is an old Norwegian woman now living in the Netherlands, trying to call family in Oslo. Last week she rang again, and I told her since we were going to keep meeting on the phone, we should introduce ourselves. Her name is Elsa, she comes originally from Hammerfest -- super far north in Norway, but lived in Oslo before moving to the Netherlands.

Tonight, I was quite pleased whe she called once again. This time there was no pretense of a wrong number. She asked about the weather and we talked about family and what it's like living in the Netherlands. She talks slowly on my behalf -- like most older Norwegians she doesn't speak English, but she seems to enjoy talking to me.

It's funny and sweet, and I'm a little bit pleased to have this random phone friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment