Friday, April 30, 2010

It's cool... no it's ugly... no it's Rockheim

Seattle has the Experience Music Project. It's a bizarre looking building made to look like 'music'. My reaction every time I see it swings wildly between thinking it's really cool to thinking it's the most revolting building I've seen. It's cool! No... it's ugly. 

Trondheim is building a Rock 'n' Roll museum right now, and when I saw it for the first time, I had the same reaction. They've taken an old mill building, kept the old historical look, and slapped a big glass box on top that's about 20% bigger than the buildings footprint so it hangs over in a lopsided way. Ugly. Way ugly. But kind of cool. Were the designers inspired by Seattle and wanting to create something to elicit this reaction? Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment