Monday, October 18, 2010

Gutt

My friend Janet recommended reading "The Boy" by Roald Dahl, her favorite Dahl book. I couldn't find it in our local library branch, but this weekend while Pam and I were helping organize the new school library, I came across a copy.

I brought it with me to Oslo, where I'm speaking at a conference. This morning, I awoke very early and couldn't get to sleep again, so I began reading and now I can't put it down. It's a collection of stories Roald Dahl has written about his childhood, and it's as good as any of his other works. Parts of the stories gives glimpses at events that may have influenced his other books. I'm finding the reading is going very quickly, with no need to translate in my head - another sign that even though it feels like I'm learning Norwegian so very slowly, I am making steady progress.

Thanks Janet!

No comments:

Post a Comment