Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lego League

Today was Lego League competitions, held in the Realfagbygget in Gløshaugen. I had a stand with snap-together polygons and a series of puzzles spread out on carpet for the kids to play with between events. I brought Peter and Anna with me and spend a delightful 5 hours building shapes with random kids.

Many times, parents would stand nearby watching. I'd call out to them, asking the to join us. Most often, they'd say, "No, I'm fine" and continue playing with their phones. Only about 1 in 10 would join us. I asked a kid why that was... he told me that grown-ups were kind of boring and just liked to watch TV or use their computers. I hope I never become a grown-up.

No, I'm sure many parents didn't want to take away space from the kids, but the few who dared had a good time. Kids have great ideas about a lot of things, and it fun talking shop with 9- and 10-year olds for a few hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment