Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

The school had a big Halloween party the Friday before Halloween. Peter has been in love with his black leather hat he bought in Paris so he dressed up like a mafia-guy. Anna was a cat (and later a witch for another party and later another costume for trick-or-treating). Maggie dressed up as "the scariest thing I could think of – a princess!"

We went to another party on Sunday that some friends have every year. Fantastic food, decorations, costume contest, pinata. It was a superb weekend.

We had a lot of pumpkins this year, and the kids did great jobs carving them. I drew the face I wanted on my pumpkin, but Maggie had a friend over who had never carved a pumpkin before, so I let her do it for me. (It was a funny realization that I got more pleasure watching a child enjoy something than I would have gotten by doing it myself. I guess I'm getting old!)


Some first-time pumpkin carvers


We had a lot of trick-or-treaters this year. Last year we got only about 6, there were 20 or 30 this year. All of them were amazed with our six glowing jack-o-lanterns on the porch. Halloween is very new to Norway, only starting to get popular about 5 years ago. People haven't figured it out yet. The younger generation loves Halloween and the older generation hates it. But it's been growing and growing and I'm pretty sure it's here to stay in Norway.




No comments:

Post a Comment