Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hospital

I went to the doctor's to get my various maladies examined. Yep, I got a hernia, and yep I got some fluid around my lung. We've scheduled the hernia operation, but that could take 3 or 4 weeks. They'll send me a letter when they have it scheduled. Medical things which are not high priority can take a long time in Norway, like I found out last winter when I injured my arm and it took six weeks to get a diagnosis. By then, the arm had healed! (Magic!)

But the lung was a more serious issue, so I was sent directly to the hospital for x-rays. They kept me overnight and stuck a tube in me the next day to drain the fluids. Now they're determining the cause, but at least I can breathe again and I'm on my way to recovery.

The doctor's visit, by the way, cost the equivalent of $50. All of the hospital work and procedures are free. Parking at the hospital for 8 hours cost $30. You could get all kinds of extensive work done at the hospital for no charge, but they'll get you on parking! Maybe that's how they afford to provide healthcare...

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are feeling well- sorry to hear you had to have a chest tube. Did they numb you up for that? I expect that it is painful.

    ReplyDelete