Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Embassy visit

We were up very early in our hotel near the Oslo airport and we were on the road at 7:30. It should take 45 minutes to get to the embassy and our first appointment was at 8:45. Plenty of time. So I thought. We hit traffic. A lot of traffic. Then we hit construction work. The signs didn't match what google maps had told me and we missed a tunnel. 8:45 came and went. First appointment missed. Then our 9:00 appointment time came and went. I was getting very frustrated. Time to use the Force.

We got there, coming in a weird direction. Got a perfect parking space, the closest possible. And we made it to the gate at 9:30 on the nose, the time of our third appointment. There was a bit of a wait to get in. We had to return our backpack to the car for security reasons. Passport check and metal detectors. Cameras and car barricades. A reminder that we are at the embassy, and foreign embassies are too often targets for attacks.

Inside was just a tiny waiting room, a bathroom, an agent window and a cashier window, and lots of posters of the FBI's most wanted fugitives. We got our paperwork processed, paid $105 for each passport, and waited to talk to an agent. The whole process took about an hour. Mission successful!

We did some shopping in downtown, ate at a TGIFridays and then I sat in the car and put the final touches on my presentation while Pam and the kids explored further.

Next we drove to Lillestrøm, about a 1/2 hour away, and I went to my conference while Pam and the kids napped and read books in the car. The talk went very very well. We were all pretty tired but still had a long long drive home again.

We arrived home at 1:30 a.m. Tomorrow morning the kids will stay home from school to get caught up on sleep. I wish I could do the same but I have several doctor's appointments in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment