Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Losing words

Norwegian is creeping into my English, more and more. For a long time I've been saying, "I'll ring you later" which is technically good English, but not a phrase I would have ever used before. It would have been "I'll call you later." A few days ago I said "I need to hent the kids" instead of "fetch the kids" and just now, looking for some lost papers, I suggested "we should seek in the paper recycling." I reported to Pam that "there were 15 pieces there" instead of "15 people" (you might say "15 stykker" in Norwegian which translates directly as "15 pieces" but refers to people). I don't know how many times I've told people I'm "opptatt" instead of "busy". Yep, I'm slowly getting better and better at Norwegian, and verre and verre at English.

No comments:

Post a Comment