Tuesday, January 1, 2013

More on risgrøt

I've posted a couple of times on risgrøt (or rice porridge), but it's worth posting again. This is now a family favorite breakfast and I love making it. It's so easy but takes a long time, perfect for weekends or days like today (January 1st) when everyone will be getting up late anyways.

Take 3/4 cup of rice. Boil it in water. Then turn the heat way down so it cooks slowly. As the water boils down, add milk or cream (or milk and cream), and keep adding liquid, water or dairy, and stir every 10 or 15 minutes so it doesn't burn on the bottom. After one hour and before two (I think 1.5 hours is pretty good), let it cook down so the mixture is not too watery and nice and creamy looking.

3/4 cup of rice fills a big pot!
A dash of vanilla will make the kitchen smell beautiful during the long cooking time.

The rice expands to about 7 or 8 times its volume. That 3/4 cup will feed a family of 5. Set the table with butter, salt, sugar, cinnamon, raisins and jelly. Put whatever you want in it. I like salt and butter, the kids like cinnamon and sugar, my wife puts in raisins.

Dead simple, delicious, and fun.

I took this picture to show the incredible before and after size difference. Next to that big pot of risgrøt is 3/4 cup of rice, the amount I started with.


3 comments:

  1. You have inspired me to have a go! It's cooking now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Let me know how it goes. My son, who won't eat anything, actually likes this as much as pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your blog, Mike. Takes us back to our good times in Trondheim. Maybe we have some risgrøt in our near future here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete