Friday, March 29, 2013

Ruzzle

I've been hooked on Ruzzle, an iPhone version of Boggle in which you hunt for words in a 4x4 array of letters. The letters in the word must be connected in a path and no letter can be used twice in the same word. The goal is find as many words in 2 minutes.

I've been playing in Norwegian and getting fairly quick, averaging now about 75 words in the two minutes. You play against other real opponents and the game uses an Elo rating system as used in the chess world and other game touraments. I have an Elo rating of about 2350 now (which means I'm expected to lose 1 game out of 130 against an average player (rating 1500)). To reach the leaderboard and be listed as one of the top 25 players in Norwegian, the current low score is around 2700 so I've got a looooong way to get there. Players at that level should be able to beat me 9 out of 10 times or better.

Today I got 100% of the achievements. If you're a Ruzzle player you'll appreciate that.

It's been a great way to pick up new vocabularly and learn word structure, especially word endings like -e, -en, , -er, -ere, -eres, -ene, -enes, -ete, -etes, -eneres, -ede, and so on. I spend a lot of time with a dictionary looking words I use often, and it's improved my Norwegian Scrabble game as well.

Look me up! Let's play!


No comments:

Post a Comment